Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

things kids say, things kindergarten teachers say

-he was crying. i asked him why he was crying. he told me that he was sad because he didn’t have anybody to have sex with. what do you say to them when they say something like that?
-you're five. You haven't known anyone long enough to want to have sex with them.
-exactly. I mean…
-maybe when you're in the third grade…
-but you can’t say something like that. what am I supposed to say that kind of question?

this book is on the table between them, because they are studying for a graduate class.

1 comment:

ohdawno said...

I used to teach kindergarten. Boy am I glad I didn't have to respond to something like that. Just about anything you'd say would get repeated back to parents who'd go ballistic and before you know it you're a headline on CNN's Nancy Grace show...